Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Earth's Mightiest Movie Review - "Sigh" - Brokeback Mountain

Well, I did it.

Nanners did not force me. I did it on my own. Although I did not go and seek it out, it was presented to me and I watched it without complaint.

Yes. You are right.

We rented Brokeback Mountain.

When I told a few people at work that I watched it, I got a lot of strange looks and laughs. The laughs I was expecting. The strange looks were understandable due of course to the content of the movie. The movie itself was nothing like I envisioned it to be. This shouldn't be surprising. Hollywood wore this horse out during its promotion. After the movie, I thought to myself that this was no more worse, except for about two scenes, that what you would see on television or other movies today. In fact, there was one scene in Pulp Fiction that I am sure everybody knows about that was more graphic sexually than Brokeback ever was. In fact, after the first "graphic" scene and one or two others, most of the love affair was implied and shown off screen.

Was it uncomfortable to watch? Yes. I think Ang Lee could have made his point by not showing their affair in one scene so graphically.

Funny, however, that I never heard any controversy over Anne Hathaway and Michelle Williams going topless in the movie. In fact, when Anne Hathaway bared her breasts, Nanners cried out, "NO...NOT THE GIRL FROM THE PRINCESS DIARIES!" LOL

The cinematography was beautiful. Kudos to Ledger and Gyllenhaal for maintaining their professionalism during the making of this and afterward during the Oscar push. Randy Quaid for FINALLY turning in a half decent performance. Finally, to Ang Lee. Not that he made a perfect movie, but having the great foresight to cast Linda Cardellini. Heck, if I knew that she alone was in it, I would have went to the theaters to watch it.

I did not seek this movie out. It was my wife's choice to rent this. So I supported her and watched it.

Now its my turn. Guess who I am going to drag to X-Men 3 - The Last Stand? =)

On a side note, there are 4 more movies left on The Butler Did It! 21 Movies That Makes Guys Drop The Remote. Will Brokeback make the list???
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That one wouldn't make me drop the remote...I would probably throw it through the television. And hence, since I can't afford that new plasma I've been wanting so bad, Brokeback probably won't make the list. Scott...I hope that woman knows how much you love her!!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home