Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Rocky



Will this week ever end?

I came home from work today and settled in to check the news headlines while getting ready to go to the gym. As I was reading, I kept hearing a muffled cough. Things quieted down and again I heard the coughing. I decided to check on the our pets when I suddenly saw Rocky race by into the bedroom. When I reached him, he had a long strand of saliva hanging from his mouth. I thought for a minute that he simply had a hairball stuck in his mouth. I pulled on the strand and noticed that it wasn't hair. This cat was choking. I tried for a brief second to pat the cat on his back and stomach to see if he would cough whatever it was that was choking him. After that failed, I scooped him up and off to the vets we went. As we drove, Rocky's breathing and coughing became worse. I knew that he would die before I got him there. I finally reached the vets office and brought the cat in. The nurses took him and called for the vet to come back to the office. My truck had saliva and barf everywhere. His poor little mouth was contorted and wet saliva was coming out of even his nose. I stood in the waiting room and peered in the back where I saw them working on Rocky. The vet came in and finally came to talk to me. He told me that Rocky was resting comfortably and a chest xray showed that he had fluid in his chest. This was probably caused by aspiration...if I got that right. A cat is almost impossible to choke. However, they are easy to get fluid down in their chest. They are going to keep him over night and start some antibiotics on him to hopefully clear his chest up.

I left the vets office and went by the store and picked some things up. When I started home, I just lost it. I pulled up in my driveway, sat there and just put my head in my hands and completely broke down. I hate to see anybody and anything suffer. Rocky was suffering and there wasn't anything I could do for him. Hopefully, this afternoon, the vet will call and give a good prognosis.

Go away Death. Please leave me along for a while. I think that I deserve a break.
1 Comments:
Blogger Scotty Ice said...

Ditto buddy!!....and Jan and I are VERY lucky to have you guys as friends.....

We will talk soon.....and thanks1

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home