Friday, February 17, 2006

Update on My Father

I am currently at my parents house spending the day with them. I left work early yesterday to come over and spend some time with my mother and father. I found out late Thursday afternoon that the home health nurse recommended my father be set up for home hospice care. When my mother and I last talked to his doctor, he told us when it got to the point of him qualifing for hospice care, then his time with us will limited.

My father does not talk much anymore. When he does, its real strained and raspy. He tends not to watch television but simply stares into space. I do not know if these symptoms are due to his brain tumors or him simply falling into a depression. He does give me a smile from time to time. Most of the time he looks like he is daydreaming. One thing I am thankful for is that Dad is not experiencing any type of pain. My mother told me that my fathers blood pressure dropped very low Wednesday and the nurse couldn't find it. Another nurse was called and said it was very low.

I have very mixed feelings about my Dad's situation. My mother and I both know what is to come. I really hope that my Dad is comfortable and at peace. I believe that he is. He has been visited by local ministers and one that has been my Dads friend for a long time. Maybe this peacefulness that he is having now will continue. Thank goodness he has not suffered through agonizing pain.

My Dad's hospice nurse is with him now. This will be a big help to my Mom. She has been so strong thru this. I am so proud of her.
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
My prayers are with you and your family. whatever you need from work, you know you got it.
Lee

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I wish I could muster the right words to make you fell better, and express how badly I feel for you. Unfortunately I can't. Just know that I am here for you, and if you need anything at all, just ask.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home