Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Update on my Father

Its currently 802pm and I am sitting here pondering all that has transpired today. First of all, I had to accompany my wife to her doctors appt. She woke up Monday morning sick as a dog with a sinus infection. I have NEVER seen anyone get as sick as quick as she has. What even makes it worse.... whenever she goes to the doctor, she gets helped in about 5 minutes. When I go, its at least 45 minutes to an hour before I am seen. Amazing. Another thing that was curious was the fact that when I walked with my wife and her nurse down the hallway, the nurse turned to me and said "How did your glucose tolerence test go??" HUH? How do you remember that? I remembered the last time I saw her when my wife was last in there for another sinus infection and we talked while she took my wife's vitals. Thats the kind of memory I want when I play Trivial Pursuit. We came home with meds in hand when I finally got in touch with my mother. Then she gave me the news.

She was told today that my father's cancer was terminal.

This was no surprise to me. It understandably upset my mother and my aunt who was with her at the time. However, the way they found out was totally inappropriate.Over the past week, they have been working with the social workers at the hospital to try and get my father in the Veterans Home in my hometown. They took the paperwork today to get it filed when they found out that he was being put on a waiting list to get in. This was a bombshell to them and very depressing, however it is understandable. We just never considered it. Then they looked at what the doctor had filled in concerning my Dads condition. The doctor had put that my Dads condition was terminal. Both my mother and my aunt were, of course, very distraught over this find when the doctor had not specifically told them that his condition was terminal. I asked my mother if the news really surprise her? I told her that we both had known that my father's condition would never really improve. His age prevented a biopsy to be taken of his tumor and both a brain tumor and/or stroke combined (which they think now is what happened) would be tough to overcome for a younger man. I told my mother that we do not ever know how long any of us have on this planet. We pretty much knew that my father would not get any better. Miracles happen, however, but it was time that we "prepared for the worse and hope for the best". As much as we have to take care of my Dad and make him as comfortable as possible, we also have to look toward the future. I have gotten paranoid in my old age. Maybe its simply something for me to concentrate on to keep from thinking too much about life without my Dad. However, I am steadfast that NO one will take what my parents have worked so hard for in their lives. There are too many thieves and conmen in this world to say 'well, we can fix all of this later." I am going to make sure that my parents assets are protected. Tomorrow and Friday, I will have to make some calls and some appointments in order to get the ball rolling again on some things. One order of business is to see what kind of arraingements we can make as far as home health care in case my Dad does not get into the Veterans Home, which probably will be the case for the short term. My mother is adamant that Dad will not go into a nursing facility. The facility that he was in during this short attempt at rehab was the worse I have ever seen. Had he stayed there another few days, I am convinced my father would be dead by now. I will speak to their administrator at another time.

So that is where we stand right now. I want to thank all my friends at work who have been there for me. I also want to thank Latin Lover and his wife, Auduin. My respect and admiration for them grows by leaps and bounds every day. We have a saying in the South about people like this couple. We call them "good people". A simple term perhaps but it does have a special meaning. You would have to grown up in the South to really know the full definiton of that meaning. "Good people" are persons who are there for you. It may not be in a physical sense of being close by per se but just knowing that they have you in their thoughts and just by sending a kind word or even talking about little stuff means a lot. Leigh would know what I mean by it I am sure. I also want to thank Leigh also for being a great blogging friend. I am sorry that I do not comment very much but I do read your blog every chance I get. I also want to thank Funky Bug and Chickie for coming by often. I want to start the Meme Monday soon but I have to do the 100 things about me first.....LOL. Chickie, you are a trip, girl and I am glad to have met ya.

Well, time for bed. I promise that I will blog when I get the chance. It is a good release for me and I do enjoy it. I am sure everyone knows more now about comics that they ever wanted to know. LOL

I also will update you on my Dads condition if anything changes. Thanks again everyone.....
5 Comments:
Blogger Me said...

Times like these are never easy, and I am sorry for the way your mom and aunt found out the news. It shouldn't of happened that way.

May all the arrangements you have planned go as smoothly as can be. I wish there was more that we could do here, but just know that we continue to pray and hope with you and your family.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog looks good, except there seems to be something missing. But I guess Mr. Evil is your new friend, now. My best to your Dad, and I hope Mrs. Isaac feels better.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Things like this just shouldn't happen to people. I'm sorry that your mom had to find out the way that she did. Seems like a visit to that doctor is in order. And I'm sorry that the news about your dad isn't good.

I think that the way you are handling this situation is good in that you are doing all that you can to take care of your parents and making sure that they get the best care. Your mom will be very grateful for all of your support. She is going to need it.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family for the trying times you are facing. May you find the strength to do all that you need to do.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Chickie said...

What a rotten way for your mother to find out the news. I've been thinking of you all and hope that everything goes as well as it can.

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for you and your family. I admire the way you are handling things. Post when you can, we care.
DQ

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home