Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Unbelieveable

I want to post a small story about what happened to me last night.

On Tuesday night, Nanners and myself went over to her parents house for dinner. We have been going over there every Tuesday since we have known each other. Her father works at night and is off on Tuesday and Wednesday and that is the only time we have to see him.

Well, last night was chili night. Nanner's mother is great cook and she is good enough to accomodate my picky habits on what I eat. Sometimes she just makes things that I usually will not eat but I make due the best I know how since we are invited over for dinner.

I do not like tomatoes. I very rarely eat anything with tomatoes or red sauce. However, last night she made the chili with huge chunks of tomatoes. She poured some chili into a bowl for me and was gracious to work around the tomatoes. We sat down and all started eating enjoying each others company and discussing our up coming trip to France. ( More on that very soon. )

I finished my bowl and decided to get one more. I dipped the chili being careful to stay away from the tomatoes. I sat back down and proceeded to eat when much to my chagrin.....I came away with my first spoonful only to have a small to medium sized piece of tomato. Thinking nothing of it, I picked the tomato out of the spoon and put it on my napkin beside my plate and contiuned to eat.

Nanner's Dad said, "You need to eat that tomato."

I said, "No, I don't like them."

Him, "Well, these tomatoes are cooked down enough where you can eat them."

By this time, I had found an even larger tomato in my chili and was removing it when I said getting more preturbed by the moment, "Well, I do not eat them and besides I do not tell you what you do or do not have to eat!

Him, in a angry tone, "Well, you are GONNA eat it!" HE PROCEEDED TO PICK THE TOMATO UP WITH HIS FINGERS AND TOSSED IT.....TOSSED, MIND YOU....THE TOMATO BACK IN MY BOWL.

I stared at him dumbfounded and everybody got quiet.

I said, "Listen, I do not tell you what you eat and you are not telling me what I can eat!" I took my spoon and again removed the tomato and placed it and the other large piece beside the plate on the napkin.

My mother in law and my wife knew how damn mad I was. She said for us to calm down and for me to pick the napkin up and place it on a plate instead. I guess it was her way of trying to break the tension. The fact that I put it on the napkin made no difference here. It was the fact I took them out of the bowl to begin with.

I contemplated pushing my bowl back and getting up from the table. However, I am particular about eating dinner my mother in law made and was very respectful toward the dinner she made. I ate in silence.

He also ate in silence, probably knowing that he totally screwed up and remained silent while he finished eating.

I finished and joined my wife in the den, after she had already finished. My father in law finished and went into the back for a bit, returning about 10 minutes later. My mother in law and I ate a bowl of banana pudding that she made and Nanners and I departed about 30 minutes later. As we got into the car, my wife said, "I am proud of you for not losing your temper. I am sorry but as much as I love him, he is still my Dad." I laughed, "I know and I certainly do not want you to disown him! However, it was totally wrong in what he did." We returned home with no other comment about what happened.

I still hate tomatoes. Now more than ever.
3 Comments:
Blogger Chickie said...

I feel your pain. I despise tomatoes and was confronted with some at my in-laws house once.

What your FIL did is a tad nutty.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. my. goodness.

my mouth dropped open and STAYED open when i read this entry.

all i can say is oh. my. goodness.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hate tomatoes. I'll eat sauce if it's smooth but chunks.. uggghhh .. remind me of blood clots ! Yuck. If it came down to a deserted island and nothing to eat but tomatoes, I'd starve to death. Way to stand your ground .. I would have probably flicked the dastardly tomato right in my father in law's face if he would have done that to me. I applaud your awesome show of restraint.
Your friend in the Northern Hemisphere.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home